How to Use This Forum - Tips and Social Contract
THE SOCIAL CONTRACT
- Be polite. This is a friendly community that welcomes all. Please be respectful of others, even if you disagree with them. Don't insult, troll, or harass other users. The mod team will take a dim view of belligerent behavior, and members who can't be civil will be removed.
- Don't take it personally. Over the years we've found that very few books are met with universal appeal, and even some of the most globally beloved books have fallen a little flat here. If you nominate a book and the other club members didn't really like it, don't take it personally! That doesn't mean it was a bad choice or that you made a mistake, and nobody will judge you harshly for it.
- Be part of the community. You're no stranger to forums, which means that you probably know that forums thrive on activity. Please do what you can to foster activity on this forum. If you see something you like, say so. If you have a topic you'd like to discuss, post it. If someone else asks a question, answer it. Encourage other people to post by responding in an encouraging way. If you start a thread, be sure to respond to the people who took time out of their day to contribute to it. If you have content to share - a book review, a recommendation, a game review - please post those in the appropriate forums. If you're new here, take a moment to introduce yourself.
- Stay Focused. Post relevant topics that will foster discussion. We ask that you don't post blind links or use this a a forum for advertising. You may link to a blog post, but the link should be there to support a discussion that you intend to hold here on the forum. Do not start threads with the sole purpose of driving readers to other sites.
MAKING THE MOST OF FORUM SOFTWARE
- Mention others. Put an @ symbol before the username to mention someone. They’ll get notified when you do.
- Review and update your notification preferences. You’ll receive a notification if someone mentions you or posts to a discussion that you’ve bookmarked. You can set notifications from the Edit Profile page. If there's a particular book you'd like to join in the discussion of, you can arrange to have an e-mail sent to you for that particular sub-forum.
- Send messages. You can private message members by going to your inbox, or visiting their profile page (click their username anywhere).
- Don’t want to see everyone’s signature? You can hide signatures by going to Edit Profile > Signature Settings.
- Check out the forum from your mobile phone. Just go to the forum URL in your browser - no need to download an app. You can also browse to the forum on your phone, then add that link as a shortcut to your home screen. That way you don't have to enter the address each time or create a favorite link in the browser.
If you have any questions or concerns, please send a private message to one of the moderators, listed below. Private messages to @admin are not monitored.