What I Am Currently Reading

I am currently reading (besides the Book Club Selection) Cold Welcome by Elizabeth Moon, a Military SF book, part of my favorite MilSF universe. Moon is most famous for her debut Paksenarion fantasy series and her Nebula Winning The Speed of Dark about autism, but my personal fave was her Vatta's War SF series. Cold Welcome is book 1 of a new series, Moon's return to SF after leaving for a decade, called Vatta's Peace. So far it's a grim survival tale, after Admiral Ky Vatta's shuttle goes down into the icy seas of her home world due to treachery, on her first visit back after leaving. Very interesting and unexpected to this point! It cuts away for scenes showing her family and the search-and-rescue people, as well as her friends on other worlds, so you know what is going on in the wider universe. If it continues on like this highly recommended!

Comments

edited November 16

I just now finished The Barrow by Mark Smylie, a fantasy novel set in the Known World setting that he used for his Artesia graphic novels and the Artesia: Adventures in the Known World RPG. This is, honestly, one of my favourite RPG settings ever published, being a fantasy world that draws heavily on myth, religion, and at once 15th C. Europe and the Ancient Mediterannean. The novel itself was... ok. I found the writing to be pretty good, but the characters a little too stock-fantasy. At times, the novel reads like an RPG scenario, especially the first scene where the characters are prying gems off a giant statue (sound familiar?), and the climax at the eponymous barrow, in which a dead sorcerer and his famous sword are buried, But between the two scenes, it's less like an RPG, and more like a generic fantasy novel. To me, this book didn't really bring out what I loved about the setting, even though it did contain a lot of setting. Oh, and the author seems to be obsessed with cock. Lots of gratuitous cock in this book, and, you know, what comes out of one.

I have to say that I get very excited when I get close to finishing a book, because I love that feeling of anticipation for whatever I'm going to read next. I browse my collection, try to figure out what I'm in the mood for. It's like when I was a kid on Christmas Eve and my brothers and I were allowed top open one present. We'd look over all the presents and pick one with excitement. Sometimes it was socks, but you know, that set up a new level of anticipation for the next morning. So for my next book, I'm going to peek inside the wrapping of The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell, The Hunger by Alma Katsu, and Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Is The Hunger the source of the movie of the same name?

@clash_bowley said:
    Is The Hunger the source of the movie of the same name?

No, this novel is from 2018 - apparently it does for the Donner party what The Terror did for the Franklin Expedition.

https://locusmag.com/2018/05/john-langan-reviews-the-hunger-by-alma-katsu-and-the-teardrop-method-by-simon-avery/

Oh! Cool! Thanks!