Break

Hey everyone,

I've been putting out content for this club for a long time now - including trying to drum up new members, cajoling people into joining, organizing rotations, reminding people when it's their turn, or what books we've already read, or how to manage their notification preferences. This year I'm also running the slow read (though to mixed reviews), and I've just had a monthly pick come and gone, with quite a good discussion between those few of us who showed up. Considering it was a milestone, a short book, an iconic book, and an easy read, I was quite disappointed that only 3 out of 7 people who indicated their interest bothered to show up to the discussion.

I love you all, but I think it's time I had a bit of a break from the organizational activity here. I'll still run the slow read (I hate to leave something unfinished) but it's high time someone else took over some of the other activities, whether that be one person or several. We already have 5 members with Mod level status, and everything around here can be handled at this level. If someone who isn't a mod would like to take over, I'm happy to make them a mod. There's no magic to it. Everyone can be a mod if they want.

With respect to the actual modding duties, there really isn't much to to - occasionally someone will request to join. All you have to do is make sure they're a real person and let them in. There's no spam. The only other mod activity is to set up the monthly discussion threads when new books are picked. As for running the regular club activities, no special status is needed. All you need to do is figure out who will go next and make sure they know when it's their turn.

I'm not planning to go away, and I will certainly read the June selection and continue with the slow read. However, at least until I get my appetite for organizing back again, I'm not going to do outreach and I may take the liberty of skipping a book here or there. If anyone wants to take over the organizing, I'll be here to help you.

Thanks,
Chris

Comments

First of all, profound apologies for not spotting that the Dr Moreau discussion starters had been posted. I failed to keep to my own rules about adding on notifications for new areas. Now I've found them, I plan to tackle them in the next day or so. I did read the book, and enjoyed it, and was looking forward to the conversation. Mea culpa.

As you know, I hugely value the club for its existence in the first place, and for its capacity to keep me reading through what has been a very busy and stressful time. I'd be happy to take on some of the organisational stuff to take it off your plate, though business being what it is, I couldn't commit to getting everything ready on exactly the "right" day.

Richard: Yes, thanks for that, and for the encouraging email you sent me a week or two ago - I appreciate it very much. I know that you are very busy - especially with reopening - and it was not my intention to criticize anyone. You are a wonderful and consistent contributor to the club afterall.

But Lately I’ve been feeling a bit envious of the ease with which people can come and go from here, and wishing I could do that, too.

@Apocryphal , thanks for all you've done with this community and keeping it going. I know it can be a thankless task at times, but your efforts are appreciated. I've certainly read a much wider variety of books since finding this place.

Unfortunately, I don't have time at the moment to take on any organiser roles. Hopefully someone will step up to help Richard!

Yes, I understand. I’m almost always behind on my reading, and that’s the case now.

Maybe the solution is just to take a break for the summer…

Hi all especially @Apocryphal , @Ray_Otus , @BarnerCobblewood and @WildCard .

To take some of the load off @Apocryphal I'm very happy to coordinate the monthly reading choices at the moment. Our current forward list is:

Book #102 - July 2021, with a roll of 3: @Ray_Otus
    Book #103 - August 2021, with a roll of 2: @BarnerCobblewood
    Book #104 - September 2021, also with a roll of 2: @WildCard

I'm easy if any or all of you would like to hold those back a couple of months until say September, October, November, at which point we will collectively regenerate the selection list. Equally, if you're raring to go then that's fine by me. Either way, let's make a clear decision in the next week or so.

@NeilNjae I imagine you're fine with proceeding with the June selection?

Thanks all

@RichardAbbott said:
    @NeilNjae I imagine you're fine with proceeding with the June selection?

Yes, that should be going according to plan. Thanks for asking.

@RichardAbbott I'll post a couple of suggestions mid July, then the decision 2 August, then discussion starters 30 August.

@BarnerCobblewood said:
    @RichardAbbott I'll post a couple of suggestions mid July, then the decision 2 August, then discussion starters 30 August.

That's great thanks

Wow! Hard to imagine a book club without Apocryphal in charge! I will do what I can to help! @RichardAbbott - you have my email if I get too wrapped up in making my latest album or game to notice! I sometimes require poking, but I am always happy to help!

@clash_bowley said:
    Wow! Hard to imagine a book club without Apocryphal in charge! I will do what I can to help! @RichardAbbott - you have my email if I get too wrapped up in making my latest album or game to notice! I sometimes require poking, but I am always happy to help!

Thanks @clash_bowley

Hi all, l have been unable to contact @Ray_Otus so there will be a reading gap in July, except for The Dream Archipelago slow read carrying on thanks to @Apocryphal .

In August @BarnerCobblewood will be choosing our selection which he will no doubt unveil for us sometime this month.
    edited July 5

@RichardAbbott said:
    Hi all, l have been unable to contact @Ray_Otus so there will be a reading gap in July, except for The Dream Archipelago slow read carrying on thanks to @Apocryphal .

Ray has a history of drifting off and scrambling back on! :D

edited July 7

@RichardAbbott said:
    In August @BarnerCobblewood will be choosing our selection which he will no doubt unveil for us sometime this month.

Will post some suggestions towards the end of next weekend.