Sword at Sunset: Question Two

There are a number of minor characters surrounding Artos, some more developed than others. Did any particularly stand out for you? Did the ones standing out prove vital in any of the major plot events? And when it came to the mounting tragedy at the end, did any of the deaths hit you in particular?

Comments

I have to say that none of the minor characters or the major characters particularly stood out for me. I actually found the characterization to be fairly bland in this book. I suppose the dark haired people resonated with me somewhat, and Medraud and his mother, though the latter was only a bit character, she had a big impact. Guenhumara also had some character. But Atros' posse not so much - mostly they were faceless people to me.

edited December 3

Agreed. None of the bit characters made any impression on me. I remembered Cai and Bedwyr from the first time I read it, but thjey seemed diminished this time through. As for the small, dark people... I don't know who they were supposed to be in history. I know they were supposed to be the fair folk, but the only small dark people in Britain are the Welsh - i.e. Artos and crew.

I interpreted the little dark people as unromanized britons, where Artos and crew were Romanized Britons. The picts would also be unromanized. The Scotti are Irish (who are also little dark people).

But... but... Romanizing made them grow and get paler? This makes my head hurt! If everybody is short and dark how do they even know?

It's a couple of weeks since I finished the book and I am struggling to remember some of the minor characters already! Ambrosius stands out, in some ways a more noble figure than Artos. I felt the reconciliation between Artos and Bedwyr was a bit contrived, but in plot terms necessary to get the band back together again!

As said elsewhere, I'm pretty sure the little dark people aren't Unromanised Britons, but another population again, besides the Celtic Britons, the Roman Britons, the Scots (from Ireland), and the Saxons.

Don't forget the Picts, Dr. Mitch! :wink:

They seem to definitely be none of the above, but I don't know of any other population they could be. That REALLY bothers me.

There's definitely confusion between Picts and the little people. Though the Picts are a variant Celtic population, different to the Brythonic population of most of Britain and Ireland in that time.

edited December 3

Yep! Eventually they merged with the Scots from Ireland, but they were distinct at this time. They were Celts much like the Scots and Britons, apparently speaking a branch of Brythonic, and I can't see they would be physically very different. Gwynedd in Wales was supposedly founded by Picts.

@clash_bowley said:
    Gwynedd in Wales was supposedly founded by Picts.

Oh.... Padarn Redcoat was of course in Scotland (Gododdin), and his grandson was Cunedda Wledig, who founded Gwynedd. So that would make him a Pict, and presumably others who went with him to found the kingdom.

edited December 4

Yep! That's the legend! :)