Sword at Sunset: Question Six

So, sex. Artos is almost impotent after his run-in with Ygerna (which although he never calls it that, is rape). There are the lovers Gault and Levin in Artos' warband- and the book was published in the UK at the time of the debate on decriminalising homosexuality. And of course there's Guenhumara's and Bedwyr's affair.

I'm not sure I've got a definite question here, but...discuss.

Comments

I was wondering if Artos was meant to be a gay character, or asexual.

I figured because she was just not so good at sex scenes. :wink:

I seldom care for books with overt sex scenes. Most are badly done and totally unnecessary in reading the book.
    Artos' one is muddled and distasteful, but at least it is important to the story. I don't wonder that he hung up his little black book after that...

I liked the fact that love and sex were plot elements, and Artos' encounter with Ygerna broke him. I also generally prefer to avoid sex scenes of the form "who did what to whom, and who stuck which body part where".

I agree with @Apocryphal that Artos' sexuality is unclear; he seems quite happy being celibate until forced to marry. Ambrosius too, thinking about it.

Arguably his indifferent reaction to Bedwyr and Guenhumara at the time of caught-in-the-act, and his willingness to accept Bedwyr back when approaching the final battle, indicates that he really wasn't all that bothered about G in the first place.
    More broadly, I find convincing stories where large groups of people remain celibate or uninvolved for a long time to be unconvincing. I guess the stand-out example is Star Trek Voyager - I mean, if you seriously thought the ship was going to take at least the rest of your life to get home, wouldn't you pair up (or whatever variation you prefer of pairing)?